We provide weekly free Charity Excellence volunteer, trustee and management training webinars for charities at 10am on a Thursday. There is no booking. You simply create an appointment in your calendar and join us for the webinar by clicking the virtual meeting room link.
We are now building out this page by including free courses and online training from our friends in other organisations to create a free charity training page that includes courses on a wide range of subjects. To make sure you don't miss out, the latest upcoming training is also published in our weekly newsletter sent to members of the Charity Excellence Community.
Find Even More Free Charity Training Courses
Use the Help Finder search category for Learning & Development to find 100+ training opportunities and courses. You can also use it to find company donations (Donations - Funding category) or Funding Finder, to find a huge range of grants. Plus all our other services making us a free one-stop-shop for anything a non profit needs.
Find Funding, Free Help & Resources - Everything Is Free.
Fundraising Training Webinars
- Creating a fundraising strategy – you don’t need to pay a consultant to create your fundraising strategy because the important stuff is what you know. What a strategy is and how to do it yourself in simple steps to improve your fundraising and grow income streams. It's available as a video (42 mins) on our You Tube Channel. Download the supporting toolkit from the Income questionnaire.
- 4 Steps to Funding Success – the key areas you need to understand and apply to be successful in trust funding bids, including how to ensure the best possible case, write bids more quickly and how to use the free AI bid writer to write bids for you. It's available as a video (29 mins) on our You Tube Channel.
- How to Find New Funders – the fundraising outlook, diversifying income, how to choose the best grants directories and lots of ways to find new funders, including Charity Excellence tips & tricks and those used by the professionals. It's available as a video (34 mins) on our You Tube Channel.
Charity AI Training Webinars
- An Introduction to AI – What the new generative AI is, the key risks, how to manage these and also how to exploit the opportunities, and what AI can and cannot do. You don’t need to know anything about AI or tech. It's also available as a video (35 mins) on our You Tube Channel.
- How Anyone Can Use ChatGPT - what it is, what it can and cannot do, how it can be used to help charities and how anyone can begin using it immediately. You don’t need to know anything about AI or tech but by the end of the webinar you’ll be able to start using it immediately.
- It's available as a video (29 Mins) on our You Tube Channel.
- AI and the Future of the Charity Sector. What that might look like, including the changing world of work, new jobs, and the skills needed, as well as digital moats, AI roadkill, holistic impact & digital super exclusion. It's available as a video (39 mins) on our You Tube Channel.
- Chat Bots - The Future for Charities? One area we think AI will become standard for almost all charities is the use of AI bots. This webinar will explain what a bot is, how it works, how it can help your charity and where you can get one.
Charity Excellence Training Webinar
- Getting The Most From The CEF – the CEF is a completely free one-stop-shop for anything a charity needs. This webinar shows you how each of the 11 CEF systems can be used to help you, with tips and tricks on how to get the most from it – almost all of its systems support fundraising, including writing funding bids for you, there are 100s of downloads and the AI bunnies can answer almost any question on running a charity 24/7.
Trustee Governance Training
- 29 Feb - Governance made simple - there’s a huge amount written about this but there isn’t even an agreed definition of what charity governance is. The key is to understand and apply the fundamentals. Ian has filled various chair and CEO appointments over the last 25 years and he built the Charity Excellence governance assessment system. This webinar shows you what you need to know and do to apply that successfully. It's available as a video (42 mins) on our You Tube Channel.
- 7 Mar - How to Run Meetings Effectively. The costs and benefits, how to prepare, the chair’s role, everyone’s responsibilities and what to do after your meeting. It's available as a video (42 mins) on our You Tube Channel.
Other Charity Training Webinars
- Tax Reliefs. We fail to claim £600m pa in Gift Aid alone, it’s just one of many tax reliefs, you can claim up to 4 years retrospectively and, if you’re eligible, it’s guaranteed pretty much core income. The most important boring webinar ever.
- How to Manage Risk. The basics of managing risk explained simply: strategic v operational, the risk management cycle, assessing risk, managing risk, appetite versus tolerance, other factors to think about and the board’s role.
- Risk Appetite. How to actively take risk to deliver strategic impact, known knowns, known unknowns, black swans and Plato’s cave.
- How to Choose the Right Non-profit Structure. Types of non-profit, questions to ask yourself, how to set up a CIC, how to set up a charity, the differ types of charity and how to decide which would be best for you.
- How to Create Vision & Mission Statements. How to create your vision and mission statements without paying a consultant or having an argument. What these are, the difference between them, how to use them and a simple process for creating yours.
- How to Maximise Impact. An introduction to charity impact – what it is, outputs and outcomes, why it’s much more difficult than private sector impact reporting and clarity on the need, what we do and the difference we make.
Charity Excellence Trainer
Ian McLintock is the founder of Charity Excellence. He's been a volunteer for 45 years and has worked at senior management level for 25, including numerous chair and CEO roles. His experience ranges from turning round toxic multi-million pound charities in serious financial distress to helping to train leadership coaches and facilitate strategic leadership programmes, which were a lot more fun. For those that value them, he holds a master’s degree in corporate management, as well as professional qualifications in finance & accounting and fundraising.
Get Grants - Online Fundraising Training Courses
Get Grants provide a range of fundraising services, including their free online training courses and events.
ICAEW Free Charity Finance Training
Join the ICAEW Charity Community for free to get free access to this and other finance webinars. Once you have joined the Charity Community, you can register for any webinar free of charge.
- Charity Finance board packs – how to bring numbers alive using Excel. 27 Feb 24, you will learn what a finance board report should include, find out how to present numbers to non-financial trustees, and explore Excel functions and visual tools that bring the numbers alive.
- Charities, tech, and the climate. 27 Mar 24, to hear from federated charity, The Wildlife Trusts, about how digital (and analogue) solutions can help combat climate change and maximise impact. Explore how digital helps the Federation deepen its impact and leverage resources and learn to combine people-powered work with technological advancements.
Getting on Board Free Trustee Training Courses
Getting on Board's free Trustee Programme is a series of online, one-hour, high quality webinars and panel debates. All welcome - trustees, aspiring trustees, people working with trustees, those curious about trusteeship. Book your place here.
- How not to be a prat on a board - Tuesday, 27 Feb at 16:30
- Inclusion on trustee boards - Wednesday, 28 Feb at 16:30
- Trustee In-tray - Thursday, 29 Feb at 16:30
- Our charity doesn't have a fundraiser - where do we start? - Monday, 4 Mar at 16:30
- Faith and Trusteeship - Wednesday, 6 Mar at 12:00
- AI - how can small charities use AI for good? with Ian McLintock- Thursday, 7 Mar at 12:00
Plus they have a regular series which includes:
- What is a Trustee and how do I become one
- How to diversify your charity board
- The Onboarding: induction training for newly appointed Trustees
- Help! We need new trustees
- No more Charity Governance please! Beyond the trustee's role description
- To infinity and beyond; an introduction to charity finance for trustees
- Board diversity clinic
Book your place here.
More Free Charity Training Courses
Have a look at our resources for free charity training courses, with links to a huge range of free training and including top tips and ideas on how to develop your people at low/no cost and with limited time. And we also have our fundraising training course resource, which has links to providers and lots of ideas to help you with your fundraising.
Video Content Training
The Saltways hold a free monthly workshop called 'How to create effective video content using your phone.'
Charity Energy Efficiency And Management
Energy Volunteers CIC provides free webinars on energy efficiency and management for small and medium charities, suitable for Facility Managers, Operations Managers, Finance Managers/Accountants, Finance Managers, Executive directors and charity leaders.
Charity Commission Trustee Training 5 Minute Guides
The Charity Commission has a series of 5 minute guides for trustees including purpose, finances, conflicts of interest, decision making, reporting, safeguarding and political campaigning.
And There's Lots More........
Plus, 100+downloadable funder lists, 40+ policies, 8 online health checks and the huge resource base.
Quick, simple and very effective. Nearly half our ratings are 10/10.
Find Funding, Free Help & Resources - Everything Is Free.
To access help and resources on anything to do with running a charity, including funding, click the AI Bunny icon in the bottom right of your screen and ask it short questions, including key words. Register, then login and the in-system AI Bunny is able to write funding bids and download 40+ charity policy templates as well.